Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Favorite Reading

I just finished a book that I really like, titled "Mormon Scientist, the Life & Faith of Henry B. Eyring". One of my favorite stories from the book:
"Henry's second son Hal dutifully majored in physics but not with much enthusiam. He frequently sought his father's help with homework, as anyone living under the same roof with a math genius would. He later recalled how one day his father challenged him. "My father was at a blackboard we kept in the basement. Suddenly he stopped. 'Hal, we were working this same kind of problem a week ago. You don't seem to understand it any better now than you did then. Haven't you been working on it?' " Hal admitted that he hadn't, and got this reponse from his father: "'You don't understand. When you walk down the street, when you're in the shower, when you don't have to be thinking about anything else, isn't this what you think about?' When I told him no, my father paused. It was really a very tender and poignant moment, because I knew how much he loved me and how much he wanted me to be a scientist. Then he said, 'Hal, I think you'd better get out of physics. You ought to find something that you love so much that when you don't have to think about anything, that's what you think about.' " (p. 196)
Good advice, huh.

No comments: